Saturday, November 14, 2009

DO COMPANIES REALLY READ THEIR EMAIL? New Series. (Garmin)


As a former Garmin owner I received a recent email from them about their new products. I finally decided to take my name off their list. While on the Garmin website I saw they had an email address for users to submit stories and testimonials about how Garmin products have affected their lives (stories@garmin.com). Inspired, I sent off a short email of what was on my mind in relation to their company.


MY EMAIL SUBMISSION:

I just removed my name from your email database for the following reason: In early 2007 I bought a $500 Garmin unit. I used it a few times until it was stolen when my car window was smashed the day before Christmas in 2008. I immediately called Garmin and asked to have the unit DEACTIVATED. I had registered it properly and upgraded the software so you had access to all the unit's specs. The person I spoke with told me you do not do that even if I could prove it was my Garmin that got stolen. I offered to provide the Police Report and any other paperwork associated with the break-in (i.e. window repair insurance forms etc....) You said NO.

I now have an IPhone which I use for directions. I can see the traffic with Google Maps for free and can get turn by turn instructions from other software. AND IF I EVER HAVE MY IPHONE STOLEN I CAN DEACTIVATE THE ENTIRE UNIT WITHIN MINUTES - making it useless. In addition I can locate the phone via GPS if it is turned on with Location Services activated.

I was incredibly disappointed. I was not only being victimized by the theft but by your company's wimpy response. I will probably never buy anther Garmin product and I wish you luck. Abby Weissman

THE GARMIN COMPANY'S EMAIL RESPONSE:

Thank you for your faith in Garmin products and for taking the time to share your story with us. By submitting this comment to stories@garmin.com, you grant permission to Garmin to publish your name, story and/or testimonial, along with any associated photographs or digital images, on Garmin’s blogs, in Garmin’s internal newsletters, in Garmin’s marketing materials, in Garmin’s annual report to its shareholders and on Garmin’s website. If you do not want Garmin to publish your name, story and/or testimonial for these purposes, then you must promptly reply to this email and request that Garmin not publish your name, story and/or testimonial for these purposes.